Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Breakfast of Champions

Who doesn't love a good waffle? I certainly do. And I woke up craving some fluffy, gluten-free, yumminess in the form of my favorite breakfast treat. So I set to work. I assembled the ingredients listed on the back of Pamela's Pancake and Baking Product plus a few extras. And I cranked up the sandwich-maker. Yes, the sandwich maker. It makes small triangle waffles that I think are way cuter than regular big ones. This is what I played with:

1 and 1/2 cups of Pamela's mix
3/4 cup water
2 eggs separated
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp all spice
3 tbsp apricot preserves
a handful of pine nuts, toasted

Add the baking mix, water, oil, and egg yokes and stir. In a separate bowl, beat the whites to stiff peaks. Gently incorporate the whites into the rest of the mixture and add the allspice. Ladle into a hot waffle iron (or sandwich maker). Any waffle iron worth it's salt will have an indicator light to let you know when the waffles are done. Meanwhile in a small pot, heat the preserves with a small amount of water until slightly runny. Pour over waffles and add the toasted pine nuts. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

I thought it was delicious, if a little lacking in allspice flavor. I want to play around with it a bit and see what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment