Thursday, July 16, 2009

Picnic Food

My friends, Rob and Karen are having a big cookout this weekend. In the spirit of the event, I made some gluten-free pasta salad. It's my first attempt at the recipe, but I think it turned out well:
24 oz. gluten free pasta (I used two 12 oz bags of my favorite brand. You do the same)
4 oz. canned mushrooms
1/2 onion chopped
1 qt. frozen broccoli
1 1/2 cups orange juice
3 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tsp cornstarch
3 tsp dried sage
3 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil

Cook pasta according to package directions or until al dente, drain and set aside, covered to keep warm. In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice, cornstarch, sage, thyme, mustard, and salt and pepper . Heat a medium saute pan and add enough oil to coat the bottom thoroughly. Saute the onions until soft and translucent. Add the broccoli and mushrooms and heat through. Salt and pepper the vegetables to taste. Add the orange juice mixture and allow to simmer for 2-4 minutes. Mix together with the pasta and refrigerate. Serve cold.



1 comment: