Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Sweetness

I have a sweet tooth. A hollow sweet tooth. Mostly for cookies. So when I found Food2's recipe for homemade Oreo cookies, my sweet tooth started singin'. You better believe this was something I was going to try to adapt for gluten-free eating. The recipe below is super easy to follow and worked beautifully with my Pamela's Pancake and Baking mix as a flour substitute. Delicious, sweet success.
Recipe (courtesy of food2.com):
1 1/4 cup flour (all purpose or gluten-free)
1/2 cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter plus additional 2 tbsp
1 large egg

In a large bowl or food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa. Add butter and egg and continue to combine until mixture comes together in a mass.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Drop rounded teaspoon sized portions onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 9 minutes. Allow to cool and make sandwiches with filling (recipe below), whipped cream, or your favorite fruit jelly.

Filling recipe (also courtesy of food2.com):
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 vegetable shortening
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine butter and shortening. Beat in sugar and vanilla at low-medium speed until light and fluffy.
I baked a few cookies the day I made the dough and refrigerated the rest for later. The refrigerated dough seemed to bake up better, so if you're making a gluten-free variety, I recommend doing so for at least an hour. If you have a hollow sweet tooth like me, I promise this will fill it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment