Saturday, October 3, 2009

Savory Orange Sauce

I've posted this recipe before, but I made some changes to it since the first trial. So here for NYC GOES Orange, I give you Savory Orange Sauce:

1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed)
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp mustard (I prefer whole grain mustard for the texture, but Dijon also works)
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 medium onion
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl whisk together juice, cornstarch, mustard and herbs. Caramelize the onions in a hot skillet. Transfer juice mixture to skillet. Bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens up. Season with salt and pepper to taste. It's best to do this after searing your meat in the pan so the sauce picks up the flavors.
For this sauce, my favorite way of serving it is over cubes of chicken in gluten free pasta or rice, but it works nicely over pork too. I even tried it in a pasta salad with mushrooms. Use fresh squeezed juice if you can since the cartoon juice contains extra sugar and can overpower the other flavors. Enjoy. Don't forget to Go Orange for hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment