Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Apple Scones

My uncle came home with 4 pounds of apples the other day. Apparently, they were on sale. So I was left with the task of figuring out what to do with them.

Normally, I'm not much of a breakfast person. A bowl of cereal or a danish here or there was all I usually wanted. After my diagnosis, finding gluten free pastries, danishes, and other breakfast-y type foods got sort of difficult. So I started making my own, but you already know that story.

I especially love gluten-free scones. Scones are by nature more dense and crumbly than other types of pastry, more of a biscuit really. So the lack of gluten isn't as noticable in them. It's a marriage made in heaven. And it's that marriage that lead to my breakfast today. That and 4 pounds of apples.

Apple Scones:

2 1/3 cups gluten free flour mix
1/3 cup of granulated sugar, plus 1 tbsp
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup apple, grated or finely diced
1/4 cup un salted butter, room temperature
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon
a dash of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, the dry ingredients and the sugar. Cut in the butter until flour just begins to stick to itself and get crumbly. Squeeze excess liquid from apple pieces and add to the flour along with the egg. Slowly add milk to the flour mixture until moist. Do not add too much liquid. Drop batter onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment