Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

So yesterday was lovely. Woke up, called Ma to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. I feel a little guilty that I left before then so I wasn't there to celebrate with her. Although, I suppose it isn't the first Mother's Day that I'll miss. Anyway, I also made breakfast for my cousins. Dawn's boys don't do much for her, so I thought she deserved it. Nothing fancy, just some creamy scrambled eggs with dill and fresh chives. It goes like this:

8 large eggs
1/2 cup half and half or whole milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried dill
chopped fresh chives for garnish

Whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, and dill. Melt 1 tbsp butter in large skillet over medium heat and add egg mixture. Stir frequently to allow curds to form. Cook to desired doneness. Serve hot. Garnish with fresh chives. (Serves 4)

They turned out nicely, and it was a super easy way to dress up basic scrambled eggs. Serving over toasted english muffins with crispy bacon is my recommendation, or for you gluten free kids, with a couple of slices of beefsteak tomato.

Howie planned a dinner party with their friends for the evening. Spiral cut ham with apple-maple-walnut glaze, grilled asparagus with balsamic vinegar dressing, mashed potatoes, and honey glazed carrots. It was the three of us, their oldest son and his girlfriend, their friends, Bill and Carol, and their daughter, Tracy, and their friend, Ana. Afterwards we had drinks in the new game room/bar. Ana's son, Chris, showed up to chill with us and he, Tracy, and I congregated in the corner to chat. The neighbors showed up with their son for a bit as well. Spirits (both the liquid variety and the mood variety) flowed freely and fun was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment