Friday, May 8, 2009

Orange and Rum and Cinnamon Oh My!

So the cookies I was talking about baking today didn't happen. After rummaging the pantry for semi-sweet chocolate chips and coming up unsuccessful, I decided to change the game. Instead, I found a recipe for a cinnamon rum cake. As I said yesterday, my baking mix arrived in the mail, and I discovered that I can substitute that for regular flour. So I did. The result was what I am now calling my Cinnamon Island Cake. Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (for you non celiacs) or the equivalent of Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix (for those with gluten sensitivities)
1/2 sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp rum
1/2 cup butter

Cream together the sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Separate eggs and beat whites until stiff. Add the yolks one at a time to the creamed butter and sugar mixture. Add the rum at this time. Slowly add the flour. Fold in egg whites. Add to a greased 10 in baking pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree (F) oven for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool until pan can be handled then turn out on cooling rack.


In the meantime prepare orange glaze:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 water
1 tsp orange extract
orange zest (approx 1/2 tsp)
2 cups powdered sugar

In a saucepan simmer granulated sugar, water, orange extract and zest until granulated sugar is dissolved. In a medium bowl combine syrup and powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. If glaze starts to thicken too quickly heat in microwave for a few seconds.


Pour glaze over cooled cake. Garnish with fresh orange rounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment