Saturday, August 15, 2009

Against the Grain

Went to Whole Foods in Madison, NJ today. Picked up a selection of gluten free products to try. Typically, I believe making my own breads and cookies yields better results, but sometimes I miss the convenience of prepared foods. That drives me to experimenting with the gluten free products on the market, like bagels. I miss bagels, but really dislike most of the brands I've tried. Today though, on a whim, I picked up Against the Grain's Sesame Bagels.

I was pretty skeptical at first. I defrosted one in the microwave for 15 seconds, sliced it open, and popped it in the toaster. Smelled awful. Thinking I was in for a terrible letdown, I spread the cream cheese and took my first bite. Delicious. Crunchy on the outside and chewy in the center just like a real bagel should be. Not too dense, unlike most of its counterparts. My only complaint (aside from the terrible smell while it was toasting) was that there weren't enough sesame seeds. Only three or four on each side of the bagel. Otherwise it was a satisfying experience to a craving I've had for months. If you haven't tried Against the Grain, I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment