Monday, October 19, 2009

Orange Cookies

Since I missed last week, I wanted to make an NYC Goes Orange recipe. Delish had one for orange wafers to serve with fruit salads and such. The idea was to have a fortune cookie style wafer. So I tried the recipe.

I'm not sure why, but these cookies did not turn out the way I wanted them to. It seems there's too much butter and not enough flour for them to stand up to the oven. I'll post the recipe for you to try at home, but I plan on altering it a bit until I get the right texture. The flavor was delightful though, so at least that turned out well.

Original Recipe featured on Delish.com
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup melted, unsalted butter
1/2 tsp orange zest
2 tbsp orange juice (half an orange)
2 tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Combine the ingredients in a bowl until smooth. On a lightly greased cookie sheet, drop batter into 2 1/2 inch rounds. Make sure cookies are about 4 inches apart on sheet. Bake until edges brown, 16-18 minutes. Halfway through, rotate the cookie sheet and move to a lower rack.

I'm thinking of cutting the butter down even further and increasing the flour a little bit so the cookies hold together. I might also reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees. I'll keep everyone updated on the changes I make, but for now, enjoy the cookies. Maybe you'll have more luck than I did. And please remember to support hunger action. Go Orange, even if you're not in New York City. Maybe one day we can have USA Goes Orange for hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment