Saturday, November 14, 2009

Volunteer

Ok guys, I've been super slack on my Food Bank for NYC duties this month, but with the holidays coming up, it's time for me to step it up.

Thanksgiving is a huge food holiday. It's also a huge time for volunteers. Most soup kitchens get an over abundace of help on Thanksgiving, but struggle the rest of the year to fill their shifts. If you can volunteer on Thanksgiving, by all means, please do, just don't forget the other 364 days a year that need attention too. It's easy to remember to help out on a day dedicated to counting your blessings and being grateful for what you have. It's easy to remember people less fortunate than you when you're feeling so filled up on love and luck. It's much harder to remember that the same people who have nothing on Thanksgiving also have nothing the day after and the one after that. Hunger doesn't know holidays and it doesn't take a vacation. If you have an extra can of food, or an hour or two to spare, give that to someone who needs it. If you have an extra few dollars, give that. I don't care what you do, as long as you remember to give of yourself. Trust me, it goes a long way.

The clients I work with at GCN are some of the most gracious people I've met. They come in looking tired and sometimes grumpy, but most of them cheer up after a plate of food. While I get the occasional client who's bitter and unhappy, more often than not, they thank me for my time. They thank me for smiling and for making them feel taken care of. I go because I get a natural high from being there and knowing that for a few hours, I made someone feel less weary. That's what giving is about, and that's what we should all be doing at every chance we get.

This year, please support Food Bank for NYC, City Harvest, Feeding America, or any of the countless other organizations dedicated to ending hunger. Not just on Turkey Day, but on any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment