Thursday, May 28, 2009

Down to Earth

Sorry for the lapse in posts folks. It's been a trying couple of days. My guy's been offered a promotion at work, which is fantastic, save for one minor (ok major) detail. The promotion's in California. I've been spending the past few days trying to figure out how to feel about it and what I want to do about it. I'm alternating between being fine with it and being crazy unhappy. So I did what any food-loving girl would do when she's stressed. I baked cookies.

I'm trying a recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. Chocolate cornmeal cookies with orange cream filling. You can find the recipe here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/italian-chocolate-sandwich-cookie-recipe/index.html

I didn't want a ton of cookies lying around, since I'm playing house solo this week, so I cut the recipe in half. The kitchen smells like chocolate, so I have high hopes. Oh yeah, and as should be obvious by now, I used Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix as a flour sub.

Speaking of which. Karen made margarita cupcakes for the Memorial Day cookout at Bill and Carol's. She made me a batch of GF cupcakes using Namaste Cake Mix. Delicious. She said the GF ones actually turned out better than the regular ones. Yay for converts!

So the cookies are coming out of the oven as we speak, and I seem to have hit a glitch...they're still way too soft and sort of, well, melting. I think I need to leave the dough in the refrigerator longer. I only left it in for 30 minutes. Next time I try I think I'll make the dough a day in advance and see how that turns out. I wish it was as easy to solve the conundrum of transcontinental romance...

Update: Cookies= FAIL. I tasted them and they are le gross. I don't know if it's that they're GF and that changed them at all or what happened. I'd love for someone else to try the recipe so we can compare notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment