Sunday, May 24, 2009

NYC

Friday night I went into the city for dinner and drinks with Lanaé, a friend of mine from high school. Starving, we headed downtown for Japanese food. Found this tiny little place that was absolutely packed, which seemed like a good sign. Once inside, I was in for my first pleasant surprise of the evening. They served a gluten-free buckwheat beer. For the first time in a year, I was able to order a beer with dinner. Naturally, I was thrilled. Delicious food, delicious beer, and good conversation. Phase one of NYC Night was a success.

After dinner, we were going to check out 230 Fifth Rooftop Garden (http://www.230-fifth.com/), but the line was excessively long. Pass on waiting on line when we could be enjoying cocktails. Instead we headed over to La Quinta on 32nd Street. They also have a rooftop bar, Mé, and this one was exactly the place we were hoping for (http://nymag.com/listings/bar/me_bar/ check out the photo slide show). Small, chill, and not crowded. The night was beautiful. Perfect weather for sitting outside with a drink. Then back to Brooklyn to crash for the night.

In the morning, well ok, the afternoon, we headed over to 5th Avenue in Brooklyn to Melt Restaurant for brunch (http://www.meltrestaurant.com/). Lanaé got this GORGEOUS plate of french toast coated with granola and served over fresh fruit with a side of Nutella mousse. Rarely am I tempted to cheat on my diet and eat something I shouldn't, but that plate of toast looked so pretty and smelled so good, I was dying for a piece. I contented myself with a mushroom omelet stuffed with Gruyere and tomatoes and served with home fries and a mixed green salad. I have to say...the omelet was lack-luster. The home fries, though, were something else. The potatoes were cooked with tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and (I think) zucchini. My last meal on earth will include those fries.

I came home Saturday evening and played chef for Rob since the lovely Karen was upstate for the night. Then hanging out with Julia for a bit and enjoying an adult Dreamsicle, then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment